Thursday, January 01, 2009

Core Matters

Suck, Squeeze, and Squeeze is a core strengthening technique , I picked up at the Student Physiotherapy Clinic, at the University of Alberta, last January, yes, 2o08.

The terminology belongs to Assistant Dean, Dr. Dave Magee. " I use it ( suck squeeze and squeeze) so the students can visualize the technique", Magee told me, in a phone conversation, recently. "We start with the core. Build it up. Then move to strengthen the extremities, with static and dynamic exercises," he said.

It works. While attending the clinic, the students stabilized my core. More importantly, the exercises they prescribed reduced my hip pain by 50%.

Over the last year, I've become a suck, squeeze, and squeeze evangelist. You may have noticed! It's the fundamental piece of my current rehab effort, at Grant MacEwan College. Currently, I'm working on strengthening the extremities, Dr Magee referred to. It's a work in progress.


No comments: